Thursday, March 8, 2012

Gaming in Education


I was turned onto Purpose Games by a blog post on Twitter recently. There are tons of games to peruse on the site already, but you can also upload your own images to make more. The elementary teacher in me wanted to make a game for Mem Fox's book Possum Magic. The plot includes a lot of travel, so it was perfect.

First, I chose a picture of Australia (that included the cities I wanted to focus on.) Then I basically chose the locations and clues that make up the game. (It really reminds me of the "hot spots" activity in SMART Notebook Software.) The result was so easy to make a fun to play. Give it a shot if you've read the book! Or if you haven't, but you're curious about how it works. I also noticed games where you identify bones on a skeleton, capitals, layers of the earth, or even Twilight characters. :0)

1 comment: